NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program Virtual Q&A Session
Thursday, October 19, 2023
10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET
|Join on Zoom|
Join the upcoming Q & A Session to get your questions answered and review the application documentation tips below. The application is open now through December 7, 2023.
Preparing Your Application
You will need the following documents to submit an application:
- Proof of Status as a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National – submit a copy of a valid U.S. passport, passport card, U.S. birth certificate, or U.S Naturalization Certificate. A driver’s license or a Social Security card are not acceptable.
- Authorization to Release Information Form – authorizes entities identified on the form to disclose information regarding those who have been selected and accept the scholarship award; must be dated and signed.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume – should outline relevant work/volunteer experience and be no more than five pages.
- Proof of Passage of Required Licensing Examinations – medical students must submit documentation verifying they have passed Step 1/Level 1 of the USMLE or the COMLEX; dental students must submit documentation verifying they have passed Part I of the National Board Dental Examination.
- Acceptance Report/Verification of Good Standing – documentation from the school verifying your acceptance or enrollment in good standing; completed and signed by the school official.
- Preceptor Letter of Recommendation – from a primary care preceptor or another individual who can discuss your interest in and commitment to a career in primary care and service to underserved populations and communities; should include a handwritten or digital signature.
- Additional Letter of Recommendation – from an individual who is familiar with your academic, professional, community, and/or civic activities, especially those related to primary care and underserved communities; the letter may include a personal address or organization if letterhead is unavailable and include a handwritten or digital signature.
- Essay Question – detailed in the Application and Program Guidance, the response should be limited to a 500-word count or less.
- Transcript – from your current educational institution showing at least two semesters of grades; an unofficial transcript is acceptable as long as it has your name, school name, and grade point average (GPA) or may be pass/fail.
- Loan Information Verification – which includes an account statement and a disbursement report.
Additional supporting documentation may also be needed (if applicable) and includes the following: Verification of Disadvantaged Background and Statement Regarding Existing Service Obligation. For additional information, see pages 45-47 of the Application and Program Guidance.
While PDFs are preferred, Microsoft Word documents are also accepted. When scanning items, make sure they’re legible and clear.